Thursday, March 19, 2009

Up for a Vegan Challenge?

We enjoy use of the word "flexitarian" in the Ward family. That is, we eat everything. Sometimes meat dishes, other time vegetarian. Jonathan was raised quasi-vegetarian so we still incorporate many of those eating habits, but not based in any one ideology. So why are we intrigued at the idea of trying out vegan-ism?

Energy. Who wouldn't want more of it? We currently have a few significant energy-zappers we're dealing with--namely Amalia and Brinnly but also job stress, lack of sunshine, and pregnancy. The right balance of healthful eating/good sleep/exercise does wonders, but is there more to be had? We just read this article in Newsweek touting the effects of a vegan diet and it basically restates the same things we've heard from other vegans.

We have NO desire to be anything other than flexitarians long-term. Dishes like fillet Mignon or brie with fruit are just too good to pass up. And I'm not convinced of the health benefits. More importantly, I want to be able to be a good guest and host and eat whatever is served without unnecessary restrictions.

So here's our idea. Jonathan and I are going to try veganism for a week sometime soon--provided my midwife approves, of course. I'll make vegan entrees that the girls can supplement with milk and/or meat if needed. (We're not ready to "try" anything out on them yet either). To prepare, I'll read up on some vegan cookbooks and try out a few recipies ahead of time.

Any suggestions? Warnings? Look for updates from us soon

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, Kaethe! I can't wait to hear about your experience and also to learn about some of the recipes you find especially good. Also, one of the blogs I follow is doing "Vegan until 6pm"--so I am linking to her post. I believe she also links to a podcast on the concept. http://crunchypeas.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/vegan-till-6pm.html

    ReplyDelete