Monday, March 2, 2009

Sugarless

For Lent, I decided to give up sugar, which means I've had to get my fix elsewhere. My new (refined) sugarless loves are apples with natural peanut butter and fruit smoothies (complements of Mike, who makes one of these chock-full of fruit dreams just about every night). Yesterday (Sunday), I was allowed to splurge, but I didn't really want to, after how good I was feeling physically due to the lack of the refined staple. I made some honeyed walnut bread and have the second loaf in the bread machine now.


Saturday's dinner-- simulated Boston Market (love this place), only healthier. Rice macaroni from Trader Joe's, French beans, plain ol' mashed potatoes and a rotisserie from Sam's ($4.97-- thing was huge!), grapes

Sunday's dinner-- pesto pizza with lowfat cheese, onion, chicken sausage and spinach, salad with red bell peppers, carrots, cucs and field greens, strawberries and blueberries.

2 comments:

  1. i've been relying on frozen fruit (mangoes are so sweet!) and honey, though trying not to overdo the honey.

    i realized that sugar is hidden in two of my organic staples: peanut butter and soy milk. eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Smart Balance natural peanut butter, which doesn't have any sugar. I don't know what I'd do without that AND no sugar!
    We use mostly frozen fruit in our smoothies-- mangoes, pineapple and papaya. The huge frozen bags we get from Sam's are really cheap, and then I'm thankful to have Trader Joe's, which has fairly cheap produce, close-by.

    ReplyDelete