Thursday, January 22, 2009

Basic Pasta

Like most families in America, we turn to the pantry staples of pasta and canned sauce regularly. I have recently read or heard speakers on varous cooking/eating philosopies. "Shopping on a Shoestring" was presented at my MOPS group. A group at church heard a speaker on "Freezeable Meals". And I had a good run of faithfully using Jessica Seinfeld's tips in "Deceptively Delecious".

So how does this affect our everyday pasta? We have regularly found that Hunt's canned sauce (while not at all comparable to homemade, of course) is the healthiest and cheapest options. So many sauces are ridicously high in sugar and sodium contents. So I stocked up on that the other day. Earlier in the day, I sauteed ground beef and onions, froze half of that for a later use, and added the rest to simmer in the sauce for a few hours. Just in case one or more little girl was going to refuse vegetables at dinner, I snuck in about a half cup of spinach into the sauce so it would be impossible for them to pick out.

The results? Super easy and yum-o. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment